Surveying the Chaos
4.08.2007
  GRINDHOUSE
This is one of the most original & entertaining movie experiences to come around in a long, long time.

I almost didn't want to see this movie thanks to a preview trailer at 300 that showed Rose McGowan with her gun leg. It left me just saying "OoooKaaay..." & wondering if Tarantino/Rodgriguez had really slipped over the deep end this time.

Well, they did - the movie IS very schlocky - and yet they make it work for them instead of against them. It is, in fact, very funny schlock, from the "prevues" & "missing reel"s to the inherent cheesiness of a zombie flick.

It's also very "girl power," as a friend of mine noted as we made our way out of the theaters. This is Kill Bill style girl power, though - action driven.

Downside: disgusting gore. See, there's gore, and then there's disgusting gore. Kill Bill, with all its blood, for example, didn't bother me. This did, as I'm sure was intentional. It's really a kind of attack on the senses. Tarantino (who acted in Rodriguez's film) seems to love to play up these sexually disgusting parts to the max. The scene where he is chasing Rose McGowan while his balls drip infection is the absolute definition of disgusting, sexually deviant gore. Be forewarned.

The fact is, though, that I still give the double feature 4.5 stars. I wasn't bored the entire 3+ hours. And being wholly original goes a long way.

Oh, yea, disclaimer: I am friends with one of Rose McGowan's sisters, but not with her. So I don't think I'm biased, but I'll just lay that on the table for ya.

Here's NPR's review: NPR GRINDHOUSE Review

Labels: , , , ,

 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
Reviews of whatever the hell we care to review! :)

Archives
November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / April 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / October 2007 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]